Pàgina d'inici » Posts tagged 'William Kamkwamba'
Tag Archives: William Kamkwamba
1.en.13. Mills will soon come to our class: from Es Molins al carrer Indùstria to a wind mill in Malawi
Outing to Santa Catalina and Es Baluard
Last Thursday we went for a walk in the old town. Next Tuesday we shall explore a different neighbourhood, Santa Catalina.
In one of our stops , Bernat will tell you interesting stories about the mills in Industria Street.
Can you situate them in your map?
You will have to take good notes in your dossier and listen carefully to Bernat’s explanations. Then, you’ll be able to explain what wind mills in Majorca were used for.
- What is the difference between the mills you can see in Es Pla and the mills of Industria street?
- Can you name the main parts of a mill?
- One of the parts of a mill is called the sails, can you guess why?
- Can you find big wind farms such as the one below in Majorca?
In this post, following the wind mill thread, we shall move from Majorca to a tiny village in Malawi, Africa, and we shall listen to an inspiring story of a boy, William, who built a wind mill to produce electricity. He got inspiration from a book he had got from a library. In his village there was not electricity, but nothing stopped him… I hope you shall get inspiration from his story. The story of William, the boy who harnessed the wind, started in a library. He got inspiration from a book.
Do you know where Malawi is?
In a remote village of Malawi lived a boy named William Kamkwamba. He got to be known as the boy who harnessed the wind.
Look at the meaning of the word harness in the dictionary and find out about William’s story.
Watch this you tube video and answer the questions: Homework for Friday 11th November
As usual, copy the questions and answers in your notebook.
Everyone must write a comment on the video too. Did you find William’s story inspiring? Did you learn anything? What were the new words you learnt?
1) How old is Willian in the video?
2) How many families live in his village?
3) Why did he have to drop school?
4) How many dollars a year do you have to pay to go to school?
5) When did he build his windmill? which year was that?
6) How long did it take him to build his first windmill?
7) How old was him when he built it? How old is he now?
Did he build only one mill?
9) What did he use the electricity produced by the wind mill for?
10) In the book he read about wind mills, were there written instructions or only pictures?
11) Why did he go to the USA in 2007?
12) Which town did he visit?
13) Where is the wind farm he went to?
14) What is his dream?
15) What has changed in William’s house? Tick the correct answers . Now there are:
- solar pannels
- a water well
- another wind mill
- a car
- running water
16) What did Willian do this summer?
You can also watch this other video, and see how intelligent and witty William’s light switch is. He made it from discarded flip flop sandals, among other things.