We have been describing and discussing different vision of the future. As you already know depending on the way we picture it we can talk of Utopias or Dystopias.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Have a look at the list of features below. What type of society do they describe? utopian or dystopian?
One of the most famous dystopian novels is Nineteen Eighty-Four which was written by George Orwell. In the year 1984, Apple, a company that produced computers, launched a new model of personal computer called 1984 Macintosh.
In the commercial they created to advertise this new computer they used some of the images contained in the book.
- How would you describe the workers depicted in the commercial?
- How does the runner compare to the workers?
- How do these characters display dystopian characteristics?
- What type of dystopian controls are used in the society depicted in the commercial?
- What characteristics of a dystopian society are present in the commercial?
- How are setting and characterization used to show that the protagonist in this commercial is trapped by this society and is trying to escape?
- What is the protagonist in conflict with in the commercial?
- What is the symbolic meaning of the protagonist’s action of throwing the hammer and destroying the screen?
- What negative aspects of the dystopian world in the video are highlighted through the actions of the protagonist?
- What comment or criticism is being made about our society through this dystopia?
Now click on the image below and use the “1984” Macintosh Analysis Tool for a more detailed analysis: