Last week many of you asked us to project a world map on the board. You were getting ready to set off on a journey with your group and wanted to discuss possible destinations. Thanks to technological advances, you can now have an unusual vantage point and orbit the earth on a satellite. Enjoy!
The narrator tells us the name of the city, the country and makes some comments on the pattern of lights and the colours. We do not want you to do any difficult homework, it is a long video, just concentrate on the beauty of the images and get used to how cities are pronounced in English.
We have included a list of the cities and places that appear in the video and grouped them by continents. You have also a map, to give you the opportunity to situate the cities .
- Zurich, Switzerland
- Milan, Italy
- Athens, Greece
- Antwerp, Belgium
- Madrid, Spain
- London, England
- Cairo Egypt
- the pyramids
- the Nile
- Tel Aviv Israel
- Riyahd, Saudi Arabia
- Jedda, Saudi Arabia
- Mecca, Saudi Arabia
- Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
- oil field fires near Kuwait city
- North west coast of India
- Karachi, Pakistan
- Manila, Philippines
- Yangon, Myanmar
- Hong Kong, China
- Busan, South Korea
- Fukuoka, Japan
- a fleet of fishing boats in the Korea Strait
- Tokio, Japan
- Nagoya, Japan
- Brisbane, Australia
- Sao Paolo, Brazil
- Mexico City, Mexico
- El Paso, Texas
- Phoenix, Arizona
- San Francisco Bay area, USA
- Miami, Florida
- Huston, Texas
- Los Angeles and San Diego, USA
- Wahshington DC, USA
- Las Vegas, USA
Here follows some of the sentnces you will hear in the video:
the cities of the Middle East are multicoloured and strikingly beautiful
Cities in Europe display a network of roads that radiate outwards like glowing spider webs
Some north American cities display a clear North,South, East,West grid pattern
We now have a database of 400.000 images of cities at night
Homework: Thursday 25th of November
- Choose a couple of cities you had not heard of and try to locate them in the map.
- Practice the pronunciation .
- Send a post to the blog with the 2 cities you have learnt to situate on the map.
- Which cities, if any, did you miss in the list?
- Any other comments?
- Did you like the images?
- Did you learn any geography?
- Are all the cities that appear on the video reflected in the map that opens this post?
- Which continent/continents are less represented?