Thanks to the Beatles, Abbey Road pedestrian crossing is world famous. Why? Can you investigate and find out ? Where is Abbey Road? When was this picture taken? Does it look the same nowadays? Check it using Google maps.
A small street, Penny lane, also became well known all over the world thanks to a song.
The Beatles were from Liverpool and they wrote many songs about their life as young people in their hometown. This term we are working with cities, that is one of the reasons why we are interested in cycle lanes and pedestrian crossings.
Let’s listen to the music and follow the Beatles into a small street in Liverpool, Penny Lane,
Lane : a narrow passage between houses
Here follows the lyrics. Some words are missing. Look at the images, they might help you find the correct words to fill the gaps. Some words are repeated:
ears, laugh, barber, fireman, poppies, hello, queen, pouring rain, skies, pies
Enjoy the music!
In Penny Lane there is a ________ (1)showing photographs
Of every head he’s had the pleasure to know
And all the people that come and go
Stop and say____________ (2)
On the corner is a banker with a motorcar
The little children ______(3) at him behind his back
And the banker never wears a mack
In the_________ ____(4), very strange
Penny Lane is in my___________(5) and in my ___________(6)
There beneath the blue suburban ___________(7)
I sit, and meanwhile back
In Penny Lane there is a ___________(8) with an hourglass
And in his pocket is a portrait of the ___________(9)
He likes to keep his fire engine clean
It’s a clean machine
Penny Lane is in my ___________(10)and in my ___________(11)
A four of fish and finger___________ (12)
In summer, meanwhile back
Behind the shelter in the middle of a roundabout
The pretty nurse is selling ___________(13)from a tray
And though she feels as if she’s in a play
She is anyway
In Penny Lane the ___________(14)shaves another customer
We see the banker sitting waiting for a trim
And then the fireman rushes in
From the _________ ____(15), very strange
Penny Lane is in my ___________(16)and in my ___________(17)
There beneath the blue suburban___________ (18)
I sit, and meanwhile back
Penny Lane is in my ___________(19)and in my ___________(20)
There beneath the blue suburban ___________(21)
Written by Paul McCartney and John Lennon
Pedestrian Crossing or Zebra Crossing? Both are correct
This year, we’ll walk around the city together In some of the outings, Bernat, your Catalan teacher, will be our guide. He will tell us some interesting stories about Palma. During our walks, we shall check traffic signs .
During English lessons we are going to
- zoom in and out city life.
- use compass points to locate landmarks on a map
- learn more vocabulary to talk about the things we find when we walk around the town
- describe buildings, streets and city life
- give and ask directions
- find our way using a street plan
- compare different cities, streets and neighbourhoods
- identify landmarks and most popular citysights
1. Practice pronunciation of some basic city words
2. Listening: town directions
3. Find your way in an American town and check the prepositions of place.
4. Read this text about Springfield, Bart’s hometown and do the fill in the gaps exercise
5. From an American city, to a typical English High Street. There are six different exercises in this address (reading, writing, and listening) with plenty of vocabulary.
6. Listen to a person giving directions in Barcelona and do the exercises.
This is the first set of on-line activities we posted in the blog. After doing the activities, we need your feed back. Post your comments to these questions
- Did you learn new words?
- Is it helpful to have audio to learn pronunciation?
- Did you find them difficult or easy?
- Which ones did you prefer?
- How long did it take you to do all of them?
- Would you like to have more on-line activities grouped by topic on the blog?
- Thank you for your feedback!